2022 Sunburst National Championship
Yachting New Zealand has a slogan of 'Sail for Life' and that was no better exemplified than at the 2022 Sunburst National Championships at Wakatere. Competitors were aged 7-64 and many of the combinations were family affairs.
National Race Officer Celia Carson ran an excellent regatta in light conditions. In the championship Brooke fleet there were 5 different winners from 7 races, an indication that the competition was tight at the top and at most mark roundings.
Congratulations to the 2022 NZ champions - 1st on line for the Wilson & Horton Cup, Andrew & Leo Wills. In 2nd place with 3 race wins along the way were Adam & Henri Crooks sailing Equanaut and the young team of Finn & Hamish Brown finished 3rd on Iceberg.
A big thanks to Wakatere and its members for hosting and supporting the Sunburst fleet, to all the amazing volunteers onshore and on the water, and a special thanks to Wakatere's Bruce & Karen Yarnton. Their support for the class and its sailors is amazing.
In a move away from a disposable regatta t-shirt, and in light of our Clean Regattas ambitions, this year everyone came away with a Swanndri check flannel to kick off their new winter wardrobe. Great idea and they looked good too. Thanks Yarntons.
Thanks also to the visitors for traveling the kilometers to join us. We look forward to the new season and seeing more of the NZ Sunburst family reconnect.
- Wilson & Horton Cup 1st on line: Andrew & Leo Wills
- Brooke Trophy 2nd on Line: Adam & Henri Crooks
- Morris Scott Life Members Trophy 3rd on line: Finn & Hamish Brown
- 1st Parent & Child: Andrew & Leo Wills
- Wakatere Trophy 1st on Handicap: Nathan McSkimming & William Noyer
- Secondary School Trophy: Finn & Hamish Brown
- Kettlewell Cup (Under 19 Yrs Youth Trophy): Finn Brown
- Tony Bouzaid Trophy (1st Wakatere female skipper or crew): Dallas Noyer
- Master (skipper 40-50 years ): Andrew Wills
- Grand Master ( skipper 50-60 years ): Brett Linton
- Veteran (skipper over 60 years old): Bruce Yarnton
- 1st All Female Crew: Juliette Richards & Hannah Williamson
- Muritai One Ton Cup (1st crew with a combined age of >100 years ): Craig & Fiona Smith
- 1st Husband & Wife (or equivalent): Craig & Fiona
- 1st The Invitation Race: Penny & Harvey Linton
- R. Brooke Model Trophy presented to the Linton family for services to the Sunburst Class
- 1st Taihoa Fleet (non-spinnaker): Kathryn Darroch & Ane Walter
- 1st Taihoa Fleet All Female Crew: Kathryn Darroch & Ane Walter