A great set of results from Wakatere sailors at last weekend's Sir Peter Blake Regatta to share with the whole club -
For those new to sailing, this junior and youth class regatta is said to be the biggest 2 day sailing event in the southern hemisphere but more importantly holds a special place in the hearts of NZ sailors as a tribute to the late Sir Peter Blake.
This year the sailors had 2 very shifty offshore days to contend with, some excelling and some learning some big lessons. Special mention has to go to the Opti Green fleet where the SPB was their first regatta with 74 boats on the line and everybody doing a stellar job under our head coach Lydia G's guidance.
Congratulations to all the class winners, place getters and team players. Many reaching personal bests at some point during the regatta.Here are the Wakatere podium placings:
- 1st Opti Open - Cam Brown
- 2nd Opti Open - Will Mason
- 1st Opti Open Female - Tessa Clinton (8th overall)
- 2nd RS Feva Youth - Kaan Yacizi/Rye Brady (4th overall)
- 3rd RS Feva Youth - Liam Richards/Ashton Williamson (5th overall)
- 1st RS Feva Youth Female - Daniella Wooldridge/Katie Mulcahy MBSC (8th overall)
- 1st RS Feva Adult - Ashton Cooke/Simon Cooke RAYC
- 1st Starling - Ethan Fong
- 3rd Starling - Josh Hyde
- 1st Laser Radial Youth Female - Greta Pilkington (6th overall)
- 1st 420 Youth Female - Vivien Webster Chung/Kiera Sinton
- 2nd 29er - George Lee Rush/Josh Schon
- 2nd 29er Youth Female - Amelia Angus/ Carrington Brady
- 1st iQFoil - Thomas Crook
- 2nd iQFoil - Max Van der Zalm
Thanks to the Green Fleet Opti support crew who did a fantastic job of organising the whole club this year, which was a massive team of 45 Wakatere sailors across all classes. The social team organised drinks as the sailors came off the water on Saturday and burgers later in the afternoon which was as usual, a great success. Thank you.
"Congratulations to all involved" - Commodore Ed Crook.
More photos on our facebook page
Photos thanks to Live Sail Die