Congratulations Wakatere, your efforts have been rewarded -
PLATINUM level certification awarded by Sailors for the Sea for the running of the 2022 Sunburst National Champs (7-9 May)
Well done to the Wakatere green team and all the sailors and regatta organisers on such an amazing effort. A huge thanks for your ongoing work and dedication to sustainability for regattas hosted by our Club.
Special thanks to club member Morag Fryer for leading the Green team and pulling this particular Clean Regatta report together. She was doubly busy as she sailed the regatta as well!
Find out more about Sustainability at Wakatere HERE
Clean Regattas is the world’s leading sustainability certification for all on-the-water, near-the-water, and water-loving events. Since the program’s inception in 2006, over 3,000 events have shown their commitments to sustainability by hosting Clean Regattas. This program has reached over 795,000 sailors and attendees in over 50 countries. Clean Regattas awards certification levels from Participant to Platinum. MORE
Following a framework for a sustainable event...
We ticked off all the SFS best practice boxes and provided evidence in a report. You can too. It's not hard, just follow the plan.
- Eliminate single-use water bottles and provide water refill stations
- Eliminate plastic straws
- Serve food with plastic-free dinnerware
- Provide use of reusable bags
- Award practical items of use a perpetual trophy
- Publicise your sustainability efforts
- Involve local organisations
- Post educational and reusable signage
- Serve local food our source seafood sustainably
- Organise a Green Team
- Ensure proper waste bin placement and signage
- Divert food waste from the landfill
- Use paperless event management
- Host a beach clean up
- Promote alternate transportation
- Increase awareness of wildlife and habitat protection
- Offer vegetarian or vegan alternatives
- Use eco-smart race management techniques
- Prevent toxins from entering the water
- Encourage green boating practices