Wakatere is a centreboard dinghy sailing club. We welcome any dinghy class and will usually give an individual start to a class with more than 5 entrants. Club racing is on most Sunday afternoons during our season. Briefing 12:30pm / first warning signal 1:25pm / first race start 1:30pm. We have a wide range of classes across our membership with juniors, seniors and families on the afternoon start line.
Classes Sailed: Optimists, P Class, Starling, RS Feva, Windsurfers, Laser and Laser Radial, OK Dinghy, Sunburst, 3.7, 470, 420 and 29ers and A Class Cats
Visitors are welcome with an entry fee of $10 for a strict maximum of 2 Club Sundays per season. Visitors must sign on and pay the Race officer on the day. Visitor results will not count for club races.
We strongly encourage membership as we are a volunteer run club. See membership details HERE.
Upcoming Sailing Events
- 18 Sept 2016 - Bart's Bash Regatta
- 22-23 Oct 2016 - OK Dinghy Rum Bucket Regatta
- 10 Dec 2016 - Wakatere Junior Regatta
- 14-15 Jan 2017 - NZ Starling North Island Champs
- 3-6 Feb 2017 NZ Sunburst Class Nationals
- 2-3 Mar 2017 - Auckland Secondary School Champs
- 18 Mar 2017 - Senior Classes Regatta
- 15-18 Apr 2017 - NZ Starling National Champs
This 2016-2017 season our key regattas are the 2017 Sunburst National Championship and the 2017 Starling National Championship. See Regattas in the main menu for more details.
Juniors: coaching programmes are run for most junior classes during the club season. They are organised by each volunteer Class Rep. They can have a focus on confidence building, fun, competition skills or all three at once. All coaching programmes operate on a user pays basis.
Pathway for Juniors
- - Learn to Sail Course - a YNZ course standard with an accredited coach
- - Sunday morning coaching with our parent led team
- - Sunday morning coaching with a YNZ qualified coach
- - Afternoon club racing in Green fleet as soon as you are sailing confidently
- - Green or Open fleet coaching after school & Sundays
- - Regatta competition
- - YNZ Performance Pathway
Seniors: For senior classes, midweek training evenings, group sails or weekend get togethers are organised more informally by Class Reps.
Contact your Class Rep through our CONTACT page in the main menu to make sure you are 'in the loop'.
Last updated 05:33 on 23 March 2017