Learn to Sail
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
Add your name to our online form and you will be notified when the next Learn to Sail course (for your age group) is open to book - CLICK HERE
*Joining Wakatere as a club member is a requirement of the course.
- When courses are open to book -
- Become a Wakatere Club Member. See MEMBERSHIP application
- When your membership is processed you will receive a password to login to this website
- Go to Book Online in the main menu
- See Learn to Sail course options & proceed to book
JUNIOR & YOUTH BOOKINGS: total fee is $415. This includes Junior season membership $165 + Course fee $250. These 2 amounts will be treated separately and will create 2 separate invoices.
SENIOR BOOKINGS: total fee is $510. This includes Senior season membership $260 + Course fee $250. These 2 amounts will be treated separately and will create 2 separate invoices.
Please make a note on your membership application that you are interested in a LTS Course.
Bookings are only accessible to Club Members.
JUNIOR COURSE DETAIL
Junior LTS courses are run during the school holidays as a 4 day block course.
We also run a school Term 1 course (one afternoon a week) which runs over 9 weeks - you must attend all 9 sessions to complete the course. https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/learn-to-sail/ynz-learn-to-sail/dinghy/start-sailing-level-1
- - All courses follow the YNZ Learn to Sail guidelines
- - All courses are run by a YNZ qualified instructor
- - Sailors must attend all scheduled course dates to gain a YNZ Level 1 certificate
- - All sailors must be at least 8 years of age for the Wakatere course (not almost 8)
- - All sailors must be able to swim 50m unaided wearing a PFD (personal flotation device) & sailing gear
- - Coaches reserve the right to accept a sailor's suitability for the course
- - A club Optimist is provided for the course but you are able to sail your own Opti if you have one
The LTS course bridges the gap between the NZ School Waterwise programme and our club's Sunday programme. All children must complete an accredited LTS Course before joining Wakatere club sailing.
ADULTS & YOUTH COURSE DETAIL
Wakatere runs Learn to Sail courses in a two person dinghy, the RS:Feva. These boats cater for our youth and adult groups and coaches can allocate sailing partners.
A youth sailor is generally 13yrs - 17yrs and missed out on learning to sail when they were younger or are now too big to fit an Optimist. Youth courses are run during the school holidays when there is a demand and coach availability
Adult courses are run during school term time over 6 dates. Midweek options are available when there is sufficient demand.
- - LTS Level 1: 9am - 12pm Saturday morning
- - LTS Level 2: 1pm - 5pm Saturday afternoon
- - LTS Level 1: 9am - 12pm Thursday/Friday (to be confirmed)
If you have any general questions about the courses, email our LTS Coordinator: Juliette Richards. Add 'LTS' in your subject line.
Last updated 22:39 on 7 January 2018