Wakatere is pleased to be registered with the Sailors for the Sea Clean Regattas programme.
The Sailors for the Seas Clean Regattas programme is designed to assist events and local communities to adopt standards and practices that will mitigate the effects of unsightly and environmentally unsafe refuse.
The programme defines 25 best practices with guidelines on how to run water based events in a sustainable way.
The Sailors for the Seas Clean Regattas programme is the world's only sustainability certification for water-based events. It's designed to assist clubs and communities adopt standards and practices that will mitigate the effects of environmentally unsafe practices and pollution. The programme defines 25 best practices with guidelines on how to run water based events in a sustainable way. Best practices
Sailors for the Sea dovetails into our club Strategic Document - to maintain and develop the Club's physical environment and infrastructure and to create a strong sense of club consciousness, diversity, community and fun.
Following the 2018 Wakatere Junior Regatta and the 2019 NZ OK Dinghy National Championship we have been awarded a SILVER LEVEL Clean Seas Regatta Certification for both regattas -
We aim to continue our environmental progress beyond our silver rating.
Our 2018/19 initiatives are:
- Overhaul of club waste and adoption of new programme so that all club members make a conscious choice to dispose of waste using our 3 bin options: compost, recycle or landfill waste
- Improve signage for waste bins to make it clear and easy for members to make the correct choice
- Require all food providers to supply produce without plastic if at all possible
- Provide water refilling stations for large scale events
- Stop selling plastic bottles in our kitchen/bar
- Replace plastic bottles with plant based compostable water bottles
- All kitchen utensils and serve wear are compostable and all single use plastic ware has been removed
- Environmental education and awareness in our youth sailing programs
- Involve community environmental groups to be part of our efforts by inviting them to have stands, displays or in some way take part in our events
- Publicize our Clean Regatta initiatives with members and the community
- Competitors are reminded of RRS 55 covering Disposal of Trash. This is incorporated into the World Sailing Racing Rules.
Plant based water bottles are available for sale in the club kitchen. For the Better Good - a great kiwi initiative
Look out for the 3 bin options at the club. Apart from food scraps, many products are now plant based (ie coffee cups, cutlery, plates, bowls) and can go in the compostable bin - check the label on every item before you bin it.
The club kitchen is fully stocked with compostable serve wear from Innocent Packaging.
Last updated 02:50 on 17 February 2019